Hurricane energy provides us a non-polluting alternative energy source!
The birth of a hurricane
Increasing levels of greenhouse gases are released into the atmosphere, and the climate is warming. The world is running out of clean energy. The current level of bioenergy and wind power are insufficient to meet growing energy needs. Futhermore, they can only be kept in operation through large state subsidies. We are required to use polluting fossil fuels as well as increase the use of nuclear power.
- A solution to this problem is the sun, specifically the hurricanes or typhoons caused by it. They contain a huge amount of untapped clean energy.
- The sun radiates energy in a very efficient way. On one square kilometer at the equator the sun shines at noon with the power of one nuclear power plant.
The storms caused by the sun arise at sea, when the water temperature is sufficiently high. The sun is then able to efficiently evaporate sea water into the air. Being warmer than its environment, this water vapor begins to arise. If the temperature drops quickly enough, the energy from condensing water vapour and freezing water can transform into a hurricane.
Hurricane energy – putting it into use
These webpages deals with a device, that can harness energy from hurricanes raging on the sea. The idea has already been developed for several years.
- An international patent application for harnessing the hurricane energy has been submitted no. PCT/FI2009/050391.
- According to the initial decision on March 31.2010 the invention meets the requirements necessary for patenting.
- However, a patent was not obtained within the set time frame, because the final implementation of the invention was considered to take place only in the distant future. In othe words, the payback time for the investment would not have been feasible one.
- The device that implements the hurricane energy has aerofoils which are mounted on a casing in the shape of an ellipsoid of revolution.
- The wind striking on aerofoils rotates the device, whose working title is EMU (Energy Management Unit).
- The EMU floats freely on the water surface moving by hurricane energy.
- The EMU is controlled by computers in order to get the maximum benefit in producing energy from hurricane.
- generators controlled by computers.
- The electric energy produced by these generators is stored inside the device as third energy.
- Storing the third energy into the device takes place through the energy converters and through the storage provided by them.
- The generators of the device can instantly be made to function also as electric motors.
- The movement of the EMU on the water surface can be controlled with the electric generators and motors.
- Here you can see a more detailed description of how the device is controlled .
Storing the energy of a hurricane as third energy
The electric energy generated by the EMU can be stored as third energy in several ways.
The most basic way is to store energy in accumulators or crack the water into hydrogen and oxygen.
- Storing the energy in methanol is currently known.
- Methanol would be manufactured synthetically from carbon dioxide and water. This would reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the air.
- In the future, even gasoline, diesel oil, or other commonly used fuel will undoubtedly be developed from carbon dioxide and water.
- Methods for handling gasoline and diesel oil is well-known and the logistics are already there.
- In addition to the EMU, fuels would also be produced with the help of solar panels.
- Both of these methods can someday be used in implementing industrial recycling of carbon dioxide.
- Hurricane energy converted by the EMU device and by solar panels does not increase the amount of carbon dioxide in the air.
- We are already familiar with the recycling of carbon dioxide in nature, as plants have always recycled carbon dioxide in the process of producing sugars, carbohydrates, vegetable oils, etc.
- In order for industrial recycling of carbon dioxide to be successful, carbon dioxide needs to be collected and stored during burning.
- Collecting and storing of carbon dioxide could be optimized by making it mandatory,
When the hurricane has subsided, the produced substance containing third energy can be collected from the EMU and stored in ships. At the same time, the EMU is loaded with new raw materials which will be used to produce new energy-containing substance during the next hurricane. Between the storms, the EMU would be towed by ships closer to the likely starting point of the next hurricane or near the expected path of a new hurricane. From there, EMUs are sent to the hurricane center to collect new energy.
Reducing damages of hurricane energy
As the hurricane energy is collected, the peak strength of the hurricane decreases. Moreover, it will be possible to control the landfall of the hurricane better than before, and even delay it or change the place where it hits land.
- In order to substantially reduce the damages of a hurricane energy, we need a large number of EMU devices – at least thousands, or even more.
- Normally, the storm wind forcefully pushes the EMUs causing them to rotate.
- The EMU devices are programmed to circulate the eye of the storm and collect hurricane energy even from the strongest side winds.
- When the weather is calm, the devices is moved by electric motors, if necessary.
- When applying symmetrical resistance to the hurricane, the EMUs go round the eye of the hurricane in circular motion.
- This is the most efficient way for gathering energy from the winds of hurricane.
- If we wish to influence the way the eye of the hurricane is going, the resistance needs to be applied asymmetrically. In this case, we cannot get the maximum benefit from the winds of the storm.
It is not likely that the storm´s path at sea could be directed exactly as desired, as the temperature of the sea water and fluctuations in the temperature of the atmosphere greatly affect the movement of the eye of the storm.